Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Vegetable Moussaka

We are on the fifth dish for the night, and we are finally getting to the good stuff. I had not heard of this dish before, but it sounded great and I was later told by MANTIGERBEARWOMAN that it is a a Greek/Arab dish that tends to include ground meat. Of course that was out of the question, but the dish was great.


The dish was composed a layered mixture of a sauce made of lentils and tomato sauce with additional vegetables added (onions, peppers) and slices of eggplant. It was then covered with a creamy mixture of milk, cornstarch, and butter and topped with some Parmesan cheese. Finally I baked it in the oven for about forty five minutes.

The hardest part of this recipe was frying the eggplant slices as recommended because it soaks up oil and takes a long time. I decided to bake them. I bet the difference was not that noticeable and it saved time and was more healthy.

The taste was really nice. I think if I used fresh tomatoes it may have been even better, but the cream sauce was a great compliment to the heavy vegetable flavors. To the right should be a picture of the plated meal, which like most of my dishes looks like a pile of red stuff.

2 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your blog, George.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i suggested that the gorgeouses who consume meat sporadically may want to try real moussaka and incorporate some of those flavors. for this particular recipe, the addition of cumin may spice it up a bit...

    ReplyDelete